We love it when people buy our RGB Shades and hack them to add functionality. Recently, our customer David modified his RGB Shades and gave us permission to share his project.
Follow his steps below to add an onboard battery to the RGB Shades:
- Purchase a 2000mAh lithium ion battery and Adafruit PowerBoost 1000 Charger
- Mount the battery to the blank earpiece with a little hot glue and cut the included power-only mini USB wire to the length required to neatly hot glue it across the upper inside border of the RGB Shades
- Solder the wires to the output on the PowerBoost
- Hot glue the PowerBoost to the battery
- Plug the battery into the PowerBoost (or solder it on directly)
- Add a neoprene strap to secure them for acrobatics or head-banging
We have a project in the works to add a small rechargeable battery option so you can have this functionality a bit easier, but it's great to see this level of ingenuity and dedication! If you've hacked your RGB Shades to do something different, we'd love to share your project, too.